stained glass window repairs
Stained Glass Restoration by the Experts

custom stained glass

The Enlightenment: The Lamb Studios Stained Glass Newsletter

Issue No. 8, November 2014

THE HISTORY ISSUE

U.S. Marine Corps Camp Lejeune
In late October of 2014, Donald Samick, the president of The J&R Lamb Studios, and his son Brian Samick visited for the first time the U.S. Marine Corps Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, North Carolina to view the stained glass windows created by the studios in 1946-1948. The windows are installed in the Protestant and Catholic Chapels. The president of the company at that time was Colonel Karl Barre Lamb and it was his sister, Katharine Lamb Tait, granddaughter to the founder, Joseph, who designed all the windows. She was assisted with the details by George deRis, graduate architect of Cornell University and General Manager of the studios.

Samick and his son were greeted by the Senior Chaplains of the Protestant Chapel and the Catholic Chapel, Joseph Harrington, Director of Religious Education, and members of their staffs. The tall windows in the Protestant Chapel depict the nine archangels and one additional one named Victory. Throughout the background of all the windows were beautiful detailed artwork of the major military campaigns of the Pacific Ocean of World War II. In addition there were chronological scenes of the historical development of the Marine Corps. The Catholic Chapel contains ten double lancet windows depicting Saints of the Church.

After see the windows, Samick gave an hour long slide presentation on the making of a stained glass window.

Funds for the windows were raised by donations from service men around the world.

Camp Lejeune is the major deployment of troops coming and going to Iraq and Afghanistan. While they were there, Samick and his son witnessed a large crowd of wives, husbands, children, and friends gathered on the grounds outside the chapel to welcome home the new arrivals from overseas.

The work at Camp Lejeune is considered one of the three most prestigious commissions of The J&R Lamb Studios’ 157 year history. In 1903, they were selected to create all the windows at the Stanford University chapel in Palo Alto, California. These were designed by Frederick Stymetz Lamb, the son of the founder, Joseph Lamb. The third outstanding project is located at the first Presbyterian Church in Orange, Texas.

Lamb Studios’ exhibit at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893 was visited by Mrs. Lutcher, a member of the church, and she was interested in the stained glass window on display. She purchased it and had the windows in the entire new church designed by Frederick Stymetz Lamb. In addition, Frederick’s brother Charles Rollinson Lamb designed the interior. These three installations are the highlight of the J&R Lamb Studios history of work in the United States.

A Brief History of Stained Glass
Stained Glass has a rich and storied tradition dating far back in history.  While “colored glass” objects date back as far as the Egyptian and Roman eras, the stained glass that we know today traces its origins from the Middle Ages, specifically in the tenth century French and Gothic periods.

Subsequent to the development of Classic Stained Glass during those times, churches and cathedrals throughout the European Continent began to install stained glass for the purposes of providing inspirational “illuminated wall decorations”, often accented by biblical depictions of Jesus Christ, the Virgin Mary or Patron Saints.

While most stained glass is found in places of worship, not all stained glass applications were ecclesiastical in nature.  Throughout the centuries leading to the current era, stained glass started to slowly appear in other settings.  Government facilities, universities, museums, famous hotels and restaurants, and even domestic dwellings are all examples of applications in which stained glass has been showcased as art.

J&R Lamb Studios – Excellence Through Experience
The inspiring beauty and inspiration of stained glass in the United States traces its history back to the construction of some of the oldest churches in the country.  While stained glass was primarily constructed by individual artisans, studios began to pop up as the demand for stained glass increased with the rapid growth of the nation and its religious backbone.

J&R Lamb Studios has been an instrumental part of that growth.  Founded in 1857, our studio is the oldest continuously operating facility in the United States.  Over 15,000 new stained glass windows and 9,000 restorations have been completed, many of which can be considered some of the most important artistic works in our nation’s history. In 2007, the Library of Congress in Washington, DC formally recognized J&R Lamb Studios long storied commitment to excellence through the acquisition of our archives.

Today, J&R Lamb Studios continues that tradition.  Experienced and involved ownership, along with a skilled and tenured staff, commissions stained glass artists that are known around the world for the artistry and stunning beauty of their works.

In This Issue

J&R Lamb president Donald Samick and his son visit U.S. Marine Corps Camp Lejeune
Camp Lejeune's stained glass windows, created by Lamb Studios in 1946-1948, are considered one of the three most prestigious commissions of J&R Lambs' 157 year history. Appraisers Association of America – National Conference The National Conference of the Appraisers Association of America took place November 8th and 9th at the New York Athletic Club in New York City. Donald Samick, an accredited member, attended along with 245 people from across the United States. Topics included: How Russian collectors are affecting the art market, the importance of provenance in determining value, the burden of proof on the owner, and understanding the U.S. attempts to step up its efforts to combat wildlife trafficking, especially when it relates to the near extinction of elephants. Fake ivory is being substituted for the elephant tusks. Saturday’s key note address was given by Kelly Crow, an art market reporter for the Wall Street Journal.

In the News

Utica, NY – A Tiffany stained glass exhibit opens at Munson-Williams-Protor Arts Institute Museum. The exhibit, which opened on October 25th, is titled “In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows”. The featured windows were created by Tiffany Studios in 1902, and installed in a Swedenborgian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. They were removed from the church in 1964, when the church was destroyed to make way for highway construction. The windows were crated and remained in parishioners’ garages, basements, and a barn for almost 40 years. They were re-discovered in 2001 and a nonprofit organization, In Company of Angels was formed to preserve and exhibit the windows. The exhibit is on display at the Museum of Art through January 04, 2015. Admission is free for museum members and children, $10 for adults, and $5 for students. Source – Rome Observer, 10/25/14.

  Like Us on Facebook